The Unitarian Universalist Society of Cleveland has its roots in Cleveland dating back to 1846 and a church called “The Church of the Unity,” founded by Unitarians who came to Cleveland from New England.
Over the next 150 years the church moved, changed its name, merged with the First Universalist Church of Cleveland, and moved again.
In 1950 there was a vote in the congregation (known then as The First Unitarian Church of Cleveland) whether or not to move from Cleveland to Shaker Heights. The majority of the congregation voted to move, but a dedicated minority intended to stay, so they formed a new congregation, The Unitarian Society of Cleveland.
In 1971 we moved to our current spiritual home in the Coventry neighborhood of Cleveland Heights.
Today we are a fun and varied bunch of people gathering together to attend to our spiritual needs and to try to aid the larger community through works of social justice.